With a name like that, it’s no wonder the sissy squat isn’t so popular in gyms. But the sissy squat isolates the lower quadriceps and mimics leg extensions–and it can be done without any equipment. Here’s how:
1. Stand upright, with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed straight ahead.
2. Hold something stable for support.
3. Bend your knees and rise up onto your toes, and slowly lower yourself toward the floor. Your butt should almost touch your heels. Pause for a second in the bottom position.
4. Push back up to the starting position by straightening your legs. You don’t need to fully straighten your knees at the top of the movement, but squeeze your quads when you reach your peak.
5. Perform each rep within your best range of motion.
Why does this matter to you? Because the sissy squat turns an isolation exercise such as the leg extension into a compound one. And you don’t need equipment to do it! You can also make it more challenging by adding weight or trying it hands-free.